Calculate the Wind Correction Angle WCA and Ground Speed GS for the sector RDG VOR to EDPW. The WCA is
Refer to figure.
Solving from Heading (HDG) & Ground Speed (GS), knowing WV, TAS and required track.
- Set wind direction to 340º under the "TRUE HEADING" index at the top.
- Set the center point on the True Airspeed (TAS) of 135 kt.
- Mark the wind velocity 20 kt down from the centre point.
- Initially, set the True Track to 271º under the "TRUE HEADING" index.
- Note that this heading would result in 8ºL drift and a track of 263º.
- Reduce the heading value under the index until the heading minus the drift gives a track of 271º. This occurs at a heading of 279º with 8ºL drift.
- The groundspeed for this track is approximately 127 kt.
Wind correction angle (WCA) is the angle (º) between the Course and the Heading that is required for the aircraft to track that Course when there is wind. Wind Correction Angle is the same value as drift but it is applied in the opposite sense: (+)8ºR WCA
Your Notes (not visible to others)