12 / 20
Whenever possible, what initial action should a pilot take if, following unlawful interference, they must depart from their assigned track or cruising level without being able to contact an Air Traffic Service provider?
  • A
    Attempt to fly at an intermediate Flight Level.
  • B
    Attempt to broadcast warnings on the VHF channel in use or the VHF emergency frequency.
  • C
    Set the SSR code 2000.
  • D
    Fly on cardinal headings.

Attachment B. Unlawful Interference

  1. General

The following procedures are intended as guidance for use by aircraft when unlawful interference occurs and the aircraft is unable to notify an ATS unit of this fact.

  1. Procedures

    1. If the pilot-in-command cannot proceed to an aerodrome in accordance with the rules in chapter 3, 3.7.2., he/she should attempt to continue flying on the assigned track and at the assigned cruising level at least until able to notify an ATS unit or until within radar or ADS-B coverage.

    1. When an aircraft subjected to an act of unlawful interference must depart from its assigned track or its assigned cruising level without being able to make radiotelephony contact with ATS, the pilot-in-command should, whenever possible:

a) Attempt to broadcast warnings on the VHF emergency frequency and other appropriate frequencies, unless considerations aboard the aircraft dictate otherwise. Other equipment such as on-board transponders, data links, etc., should also be used when it is advantageous to do so and circumstances permit; and

b) Proceed in accordance with applicable special procedures for in-flight contigencies, where such procedures have been established and promulgated in DOC 7030 - Regional Supplementary Procedures; or

c) If no applicable regional procedures have been established, proceed at a level which differs from the cruising levels normally used for IFR flight in the area by 300 m (1000 ft) if above FL290 or by 150 m (500 ft) if below FL290.

Your Notes (not visible to others)

This question has appeared on the real examination, you can find the related countries below.

  • United Kingdom